RECOMMENDED READING
Membership – Join Free
It's Here!

Get Connected

Get your FREE Thunder Roads Florida membership.

Members get access to special features, newsletters and much more.

Find out more about the Thunder Riders Membership and sign up NOW Click Here

Events Calendar
Sept Florida Events 2017

'Click the Chick' to see monthly events.

Upcoming Events
The Suggestion Box

Got a Suggestion or Feature Request?

Use the suggestion box to submit suggestions

Vote on suggestions submitted by other members.

Monthly Archives

Nobodies Opinion July 2013

Kneecap

By Billy “Kneecap” Braddock


Here we are in July, celebrating the 237th birthday of this great country of ours. 237 years ago brave men fought against inconceivable odds and defeated the most powerful Empire in the world, after which they created the greatest country the world has ever seen. They may not have been able to imagine computers, e-mails, or cell phones but they knew about freedom. They intended that 95% of all governance should come from local governments, with the remaining 5% from the federal level. When they wrote the Constitution they included safeguards, like the 1st, 2nd and 4th amendments. They designed a country that would be subject to the rule of law and not the rule of man; where life, liberty, and property would be protected. The 1st Amendment provides for freedom of speech. George Washington said, “If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to slaughter”. The 2nd Amendment protects the right to bear arms. Old George had something to say about that also, “Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples’ liberty’s teeth”. The 4th Amendment protects its citizens from unlawful search and seizure. The Feds tell us that they mean no harm when they search our e-mails, phone calls and financial transactions. They say “trust us”. That would be like telling a blind man who is playing strip poker with four gypsy women, that he won’t lose his shirt. “In God We Trust”, not government. All confidence and credibility in the federal government has been lost. We are now living in a surveillance state. When they want to know where you’ve been, where you are, or who you talk to, all they need to do is track your cell phone. (The next time you want to order a pizza don’t call Domino’s. Call the White House they get the call first.) They claim it’s for our safety. Benjamin Franklin had something to say about that, “He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither”. It seems like each morning we are awakened to a new government scandal. Each time a new scandal arises, nobody in the government has any knowledge of the facts. I feel like I’m watching Hogan’s Heroes’ Capt. Schultz who is known to say “I know nothin”, “I see nothin” and “I didn’t even get out of bed this morning”. “Uncle Sam” has been replaced by “Captain Clueless”.

This Fourth of July take a couple minutes to reflect on what our founding fathers gave up in order for us to have freedom. Maybe even mention to your children the importance of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution of the United States. You may even mention another historical writing. It set forth the idea of a progressive income tax, mandatory government controlled education, high estate taxes, a central bank like the Federal Reserve, and government control of the means of communication by an agency like the FCC. As a matter of fact, this historical writing was called “The Communist Manifesto”. Just wanted to give you some food for thought while you are eating your hot dogs, watching the fireworks and waving the flag of freedom. Remember, had it not been for the brave men of the Revolution, we probably would be having tea and crumpets instead of hamburgers and beer. Have a safe and happy Fourth of July, but remember why we’re celebrating it. It’s called “Independence Day”.

The other day at the bar I asked that they not smoke around me. I wasn’t concerned about secondhand smoke but lighting the cigarette might ignite my breath.

See you on the shiny side of tomorrow…

Comments are closed.